Valencia: Corpus Christi

On holidays, when you travel abroad, you want to see the most the best of any country or city wherever you go. This is what you have to do, and I love it, among with enjoying and relaxing on your trip, of course.
I have been thinking about this a lot and one of my conclusions is that the city I am from, my beloved Valencia in Spain, has hundreds of things, museums, parades, cathedrals, churches, houses... that I already have seen but there are a lot that I haven´t yet so I am  determined to start knowing them all.
I am going to write about them and picture them with photos that I am going to upload here.
Starting yesterday I have the first one: THE CORPUS CHRISTI parade.
In the present the Feast of Corpus Christi (Latin for Body of Christ), also known as Corpus Domini,  is designated the solemnity of The Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ.
The feast is celebrated the Sunday after the Most Holy Trinity, this year it was yesterday.

Here, in Valencia, the parade takes place since XIV Century (first time done in 1355) and until XIX was considered a Principal Celebration in the City. Nowadays Valencia offers altarpieces showing the original rituals.
In this parade we can find people dressed up as biblical characters, 







First Communion girls and boys in their pretty dresses,

 















women and men Catholic Association (here with our flag)


the "Rocks" (altarpieces and other retablos),
















the mayor/mayoress and other political and social 
                    well-known people, 












both "Fallera Mayor" of that year (I'll talk about this great celebration in March) 



















and one important thing that not all the people know: The Holy Grail!!!











One of the supposed Holy Chalices in the world is revered in one of this cathedral's chapels; this chalice has been defended as the true Holy Grail; indeed, most Christian historians all over the world declare that all their evidence points to this Valencian chalice as the most likely candidate for being the authentic cup used at the Last Supper.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CREAR UNA SOPA DE LETRAS CON MENSAJE OCULTO

IV Intercambio Navideño

FALLAS PROJECT... Celebration in Valencia (Spain) brought to UTAH!!